Photos come in a wide range of file formats, and each has a use. Are you wondering what is the highest quality photo format? Well, there are several factors to bear in mind when choosing the photo format. This is especially the case if you work as a professional in photography or graphic design and need to edit, print, scan or upload photos online.
Highest Quality Photo FormatThis guide highlights some of the best image formats and their features. It features the most common photo file formats and how they’re used. JPEG This is the most widely used image file format used to store photos and its extension is widely written as .jpg. JPEG images are categorized into different qualities such as low, medium and high. As such, if you need a high-quality JPEG image, you need to choose a less compressed option of the file format. JPEG images and graphics are mostly used for social media posts, publishing in websites, sharing online and more. They take less space, which allows you to store more images. However, quality can easily be compromised in editing.
When to Use the JPEG Image Format
- To reduce the file size of highly detailed images of product photography
- For images with plenty of different colors, such as photographs.
PNGPNG is a popular image format which comes in handy when editing images. It’s the best image format for transparent backgrounds or partial transparency for fantastic effects. This file format will help to save both the quality and details of a photo. Due to its large size, PNG images are often used for logos.
When to Use PNG
- You need to work with high-quality transparent web graphics. Compared with GIF, for example, PNG allows you to get more vibrant pictures as the file format features impressive color depths.
- You’re dealing with illustrations that have limited colors
- You need a small life. PNG files can be shrunk to the tiniest sizes without distorting simple shapes, colors or text.
GIFGIF images resemble PNG files in terms of quality. However, this file format is great for creating animations. The format is not an ideal choice for all photos because it doesn’t boast a wide color range and sometimes won’t even load if you’re facing some common computer problems. GIF images can also be transparent like their PNG counterparts but don’t expect any shadow effects as they don’t support partial transparency.
When to Use GIF
- you’re creating web animations
- You need transparency
- You require a small file. You can shrink GIF images significantly, making them perfect for creating web graphics and simple icons.
PSDPSD files can be produced from Adobe PS for saving images. This file format allows one to edit individual layers as well as improve the saved file for details. While this format lets you preserve the picture quality for a long time, it’s not the best image format for the web. With PSD files, you can edit pictures, add effects and do many more.
When to Use PSD
- you’re planning to retouch photos (adding text or layer, color correction, etc.)
- You have to edit artwork for print or digital
Bottom LineThe highest quality photo format really boils down to your intended use of the photograph. Other common photo formats to consider include PDF, RAW, and TIF. Each file format has its own benefits and drawbacks. The trick is to choose a photo format that best suits your needs and to learn about them from numerous resources available out there.
© 2020 The Design Pixel. All Rights Reserved.