There are different file formats when it comes to photos. All these formats come with different characteristics, and also they have different features altogether. One of the most popular formats for saving photos is PNG. There are a lot of advantages of PNG and many people like to save the images in this format. If you are wondering why saving photos in PNG can be beneficial, then you are at the right place.
Advantages of PNGThere are different benefits of using the PNG format. We will discuss with you about the different advantages and how it can be ideal for your use. So, here are some of the advantages of the PNG images over other formats such as JPG and GIF.
Benefits of the PNG File Format
- The PNG comes higher compression rate and uses better technology for compression of the images than that of the GIF. This will allow the smaller files to download more quickly than ever. This makes it a great option for e-commerce website, because it will load your site’s image quicker for consumers.
- This also comes with higher bit depths and PNG allows 8, 16, 24 and 32 bit images. So, you will be able to save just like the way you want it.
- Since the PNG is a permanent royalty-free license, it will always be free to use and open standard. The PNG is developed by the W3C.
- Because the PNG comes with multiple layers of transparency, the PNG image allows full alpha channel transparency. This can make the moving images easier from one background to another when working on graphics and printing logos.
- With the built-in gamma correction, the users can easily see the image the way it was intended for seeing. This allows selecting the gamma level intended for the monitoring.
Why PNG is BetterIt is quite evident from the above advantages that the PNG file format is better than most of the popular photo formats available. The best part is the lossless compression. When you are saving, opening or resaving the images, the file format will not get degraded if it is saved in PNG file format. Compression algorithm works differently here. There are many sorts of techniques that can reduce the visibility of throwing away perfectly good data. Typically, PNG files can compress better than that of the JPG and GIFs. In case of JPG, the image tends to lose the image information as well as the quality each time you want to save it.
ConclusionSo, these are the advantages of PNG. Though JPG is the most popular file format and people save the images in this file format, the best one is the PNG. If you want to keep the quality of the image intact and make sure that it is not losing its quality or it is not losing any information, then saving the images in .png file format is the best idea. This way you can keep your graphic design work intact. No matter how many times you save the images, download it and resend it, the quality will remain the same throughout. But the PNG files can take up more space than that of the JPG one.
© 2020 The Design Pixel. All Rights Reserved.